Rosella Room 3-5 years
Our program for the 3-5 years’ room focuses on preparing the children to be completely independent learners with well-established skills necessary for their transition to big school. We strive to provide opportunities for our children to practice these skills through play and planned intentional teaching moments, as well as additional education programs that complement our curriculum, which is why our 3-5 environment has been specifically designed with preschoolers in mind.
Our environment consists of;
- Kimochi Kit to assist pre-schoolers in developing an in depth understanding about complex emotions. The kimochi puppets, teachers guide and story books are used in both the play environments and structured learning during group times to allow the children to develop an understanding of complex emotions and be able to apply their learning during conflict resolution and negotiations in play.
- A large playroom that is divided into smaller learning spaces to encourage children to develop their social, emotional and communication skills through play. The room is set up to be an additional ‘educator’ in the room consistent with Reggio practices. This gives the educators so many opportunities to play and extend children’s learning through interactions and intentional teaching moments.
- A large bathroom fully equipped with 6 small toilets and hand basins and a large nappy change unit. This space provides opportunities for children with additional needs to learn about toilet training and independent self-care with toileting through a social approach. The taps in the hand basins are equipped with timers so children can learn about reducing water wastage and each toilet is equipped with a dual flush system. This bathroom has a shower facility to cater for children’s needs if they are sick or soiled.
- Hydration station for children to place their drink bottles on so they have access to safe drinking water throughout the day. The educators teach the children about looking after their own belongings and not sharing bottles to prevent the spread of infection.
- Salt Lamps in the playing area to assist with air purification, creating a more comfortable space for preschoolers to breathe when they sleep, rest and play.
- Classroom pets for hands on learning. The 3-5 room have a fish tank, stick insects and meal worms. They learn to care for the animals, interact with them gently and develop respect for natural elements of the environment.
- Experiences to cater for real life skills The children are exposed to many different experiences that help prepare them for the necessary skills to cope with everyday situations. We use real cutlery, glassware and crockery to teach the children about being safe around these items. We have a tinker table with real tools, safety equipment and real nails for the children to explore their creativity and build equipment for themselves.
- Additional Programs to complement curriculum Programs like computer gym and grow fit are additional to the rooms curriculum and complement the learning that takes place in the 3-5’s room. These are provided in private lesson format during service hours for a small fee. They occur weekly during school terms.
- Computers, IPADs and camera technologies The 3-5’s environment provides opportunities for the children to become competent in the use of digital technologies. With fully equipped computer systems that prepare the children for school through literacy and numeracy interactive programs, our computers are regularly updated and maintained to provide the children with the best on the market. IPads and cameras are used for children to explore their creative skills through educational games, learning apps, digital storytelling and opportunities to take photos of their environments.
Additions in planning for this room