Kookaburra Room 0-2 years
Our program for the 0-2 years’ room focuses on preparing the children to reach developmental milestones and specifically focuses on language and social skills development – two very important school readiness skills. We strive to provide routines for our children that are consistent with home, which is why our 0-2 environment has been specifically designed with both infants and families in mind.
Our environment consists of;
- A large dual nappy changing area with a small toilet to assist those children who are ready to transition to toilet training.
- A cot room for younger babies (0 – 12 months) with 5 wooden cots and 1 emergency cot. 4 of the wooden cots are smaller in size to help young babies feel secure whilst they sleep and 1 of the wooden cots is larger to accommodate for older babies who are not ready to transition to a bed. All bed linen is provided and washed regularly at the service.
- A sleeping room for older babies (12 months+) with little beds that are close to the ground. At the end of each of these beds a small basket is placed to encourage children to learn to care for their belongings from an early age. All bed linen is provided and washed regularly at the service.
- A comfortable breastfeeding space for both breastfeeding and bottle feeding parents to enjoy cuddles and bonding time with their babies. This also provides opportunities for educators to have quiet bonding time with individual babies who need extra attention. Within this space we have a comfortable rocking chair, breastfeeding pillow (optional for families), fresh water (to encourage breastfeeding mums to stay hydrated) and relaxing music playing in the background.
- Salt Lamps and Steam Diffuser's in both sleeping rooms and the playing area to assist with air purification, creating a more comfortable space for babies to breathe when they sleep and play.
- A large play room that is divided into smaller learning stations to foster play based learning and inquiry.
- Climbing stairs leading up to a large viewing window to assist children in connecting with community. It also provides opportunities for babies and toddlers to assess their risk levels and learn to judge a level of risk they feel comfortable taking.
- A sensory wall arch to encourage children to explore their senses. In the 0-2 age group, children learn a lot through exploring the world with their senses and it’s important to provide opportunities for this to occur.
- Classroom pets for hands on learning. The 0-2 room have access to our Bunny Rabbit, our Guinea Pig and our Chickens. Children learn to care for the animals, interact with them gently and develop respect for natural elements of the environment.
- Connected backyard space where babies and toddlers are provided with opportunities to play with older children, their siblings and cousins throughout the day which assists them in further developing their communication and social skills.
- Hydration station for children to place their drink bottles on so they have access to safe drinking water throughout the day. The educators teach the children about looking after their own belongings and not sharing bottles to prevent the spread of infection.
- Renovated yard The large backyard was designed by The Tradie Ladies and is completely renovated into a natural playspace which provides children with many opportunities to explore and learn through nature. With many hiding nooks and gardens that inspire wonder as well as sensory components of the yard, the children are able to extend on their social, emotional and communication skills as they interact with each other and the environment. This space is shared with the preschool children and the toddlers as well.
* If you would like to view work completed by the Tradie Ladies please follow them on the FaceBook link here https://www.facebook.com/The-Tradie-Ladies-Construction-Design-800612006719068